This Tortellini Soup is a warm and comforting soup that combines the rich flavors of Italian sausage, tender tortellini, vibrant spinach, and succulent tomatoes. This hearty soup is a celebration of Italian cuisine, blending robust ingredients to create a symphony of taste and texture.
The star of this dish is the perfectly seasoned Italian sausage. As it cooks, it fills the broth with a rich taste. Tomatoes join the party, bringing sweetness that balances out the savory sausage. Whether chopped or pureed, they create a tasty base that complements the heartiness of the sausage.
The addition of tender tortellini takes this soup to the next level, offering delightful pockets of pasta filled with savory goodness. Each bite unveils a delightful combination of textures, as the pasta absorbs the savory broth while maintaining its distinct chewiness. It’s comfort in a spoonful.
The fresh spinach adds a pop of color and earthy goodness. It’s not just about flavor; it’s about making the soup wholesome and hearty.
Top it with a sprinkle of Parmesan and cheese toast, and there you have it – Tortellini Soup, a simple yet amazing dish, perfect for a cozy night in or sharing with friends.
How to make Tortellini Soup
The recipe for this soup is easy. Simply gather all the ingredients and in about 30 minutes you can have an amazing lunch or dinner.
Start by heating olive oil in a big pot on medium heat. Toss in chopped onions and cook until they’re soft, about 5 minutes. Add Italian sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink, around 4-5 minutes. While it cooks, break the meat into small pieces for that hearty feel.
Next, add carrots, celery, and garlic. Let them cook for an extra 5 minutes, stirring every now and then. Sprinkle in thyme, basil, and oregano to amp up the flavors.
Pour in vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Give it a good mix, turn up the heat until it boils, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover and let it cook for 15-20 minutes until the veggies are tender.
Toss in the cheese-filled tortellini and a bit of cream. Let them cook for another 7-10 minutes until the tortellini are just right.
Before serving, throw in some fresh spinach, give it a final stir, and turn off the heat.
Serve it up hot, topped with shavings of Parmesan, a bit of fresh basil, and those tasty cheese garlic toasts.
For the toasts, just slice a baguette, put the pieces on a baking sheet, drizzle or spray with olive oil, cover with grated cheese, and sprinkle with garlic powder and dried oregano. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 5-7 minutes until the cheese melts.
Hope you will try and enjoy the warm soup. Everybody will be delighted for sure. If you do, share the photos with me on Instagram, would love to see how it turns out for you.
Other similar recipes you may like to try
Savor the warmth of our Minestrone Soup, a delightful mix of veggies, herbs, beans and pasta. A comforting bowl perfect for every occasion, especially during the cold season.
Explore the rich flavors of our Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup, where savory tomatoes and vibrant peppers blend together creating a delicious, warm embrace in every spoonful.
Our Fish Fillet Soup is another comforting soup we highly recommend. Succulent fillets cooked in a savory broth create a seafood delight.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Classic Bolognese Sauce
Spaghetti with Baked Meatballs
Lentil Cream Soup
Cauliflower Cream Soup
Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Sweet Potato Gnocchi – Garlic Butter Sage Fried Gnocchi
Chicken Alfredo Pasta
Easy Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
Shakshuka -Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Macaroni and Cheese
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound (450g) Italian sausage , casings removed
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 6 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 carrot , diced
- 2 celery sticks , chopped
- 2 cans (28oz – 800g) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1g) black pepper
- 4 cups (1liter) vegetable stock
- 9 oz (250g) tortellini , filled with cheese, ham or spinach (your choice)
- 1 cup (240g) cream
- 2 cups (40g) fresh baby spinach
For Garlic Cheese Toasts
- 1 baguette
- 1 cup (100g) cheddar cheese , grated
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook until no longer pink, for about 4-5 minutes. Crumble the meat while cooking.
- Add the carrot, celery and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring from time to time.
- Stir in the thyme, basil and oregano.
- Add the vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cheese tortellini and cream. Cook for 7-10 minutes more minutes or until the tortellini are tender.
- Add the spinach, give them a stir and turn off the heat.
- Serve immediately with Parmesan shavings, fresh basil and garlic cheese toasts.
How to prepare the garlic cheese toasts.
- Cut the baguette into slices and place the slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle or spray each slice with olive oil. Spread grated cheese on top. Season with garlic powder and dried oregano. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400F (200C) oven for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Tips for Making in Advance:
- Refrigeration: After preparing the soup base, let it cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Store in an airtight container for up to 24 hours. Add the tortellini, cream and spinach when ready to serve.
- Freezing: If you plan to keep it longer, consider freezing the soup without the tortellini, spinach and cream. Thaw in the refrigerator and add the tortellini, spinach and cream when ready to serve.