Enjoy the delicious flavor of ApfelStrudel with our Quick Apple Strudel with Puff Pastry and Vanilla Sauce. This scrumptious dessert combines the sweet goodness of apples with the flaky golden puff pastry. The result is a perfect balance of crispiness and tenderness that captures the essence of this beloved European pastry. It is one of the most comforting desserts you can prepare during the apple season.
Thinly sliced apples are generously coated in a mixture of raisins, breadcrumbs, cinnamon and sugar, adding a warm, comforting flavor to every bite. The puff pastry wraps the apple filling in layers of buttery, golden goodness.
Our simple vanilla sauce is like the superstar topping for the ApfelStrudel. Pour it generously over the warm pastry, and you’ll get this creamy, sweet flavor that makes every bite extra delicious. It’s the special touch that turns a basic dessert into something amazing.
This Quick Apple Strudel is not just a dessert, it’s a celebration of flavors and textures, perfect for family gatherings, special occasions, or whenever you crave a bit of sweetness in your life.
How to make this quick apple strudel with puff pastry
Start by preheating your oven to 400F (200C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Now, let’s whip up the apple filling. I have used Golden apples this time but any other apples will work good, like Granny Smith, Gala or Fuji. Peel and core the apples, then slice them into thin slices. Toss these slices in a bowl with lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, flour, cinnamon, breadcrumbs, and raisins. Set it aside.
Time to work with the pastry dough. Place it on the prepared baking sheet. Move fast to keep it cool. Mark a rectangle in the center of the sheet, leaving a 5-inch (12cm) border on each side and a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border at the top and bottom. Start making diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of the rectangle. Ditch the four corners.
Spread that tasty apple filling in the middle of the dough. Now, fold the top and bottom parts of the dough over the filling. Fold the diagonal strips of dough over the filling, alternating sides until all loaf is braided. Press ends to seal.
Give your apple strudel a nice brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle some sugar on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it’s puffed up and lovely golden brown.
How to prepare the vanilla sauce
In a small saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Gradually mix in the milk and cream, then put it on medium-low heat. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring continuously until it thickens. No need to bring it to a boil. Set it aside until you’re ready to use it.
Once your apple strudel is baked to perfection, pour that vanilla sauce onto your serving plates. Add a slice of apple strudel and dust it with powdered sugar and enjoy.
Hope you will give this easy and quick apple strudel a try, it is simply delightful. If you do, make sure to share the photos with me on Instagram. Would love to see how it turns out for you.
Other easy and quick apple recipes you may like to try
These Apple Hand Pies are delightful little pastries with a perfect blend of buttery crust and tender, cinnamon apple filling, creating a cozy and comforting experience.
These amazing Apple Pie Bars are a mouthwatering dessert perfect for apple season. Each bite is a burst of sweet, cinnamon apple goodness enveloped in a buttery crust and crumble topping.
This flavorful German Apple Streusel Cake -Apfelkuchen mit Streusel is one of the best apple cakes you can ever make. It is so comforting, a perfect dessert for cozy fall days.
Savor the taste of fall with our mouthwatering Apple Crumble. It brings together cinnamon-spiced apples with a crisp, buttery topping, creating a delightful treat that’s easy to love.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Apple Pecan Caramel Mousse Cake
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Apple Upside Down Cake
Stovetop Apple Upside Down Cake
10 Apple Recipes
Spiced Apple Pear Christmas Tart
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
Apple Meringue Cake
Apple Crisp Pancakes
Apples and Oats Biscotti
Almond Apple Tart
Quick Apple Strudel with Puff Pastry and Vanilla Sauce
- 9.5 oz (270g) puff pastry sheet , thawed
For the Apple Filling
- 1 pound (450g) apples about 3 medium apples
- 1/3 cup (70g) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15g) lemon juice
- lemon zest of a lemon
- 1/2 cup (85g) golden raisins
- 2 tsp (6g) ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (10g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 tbsp sugar , to sprinkle over the top
Homemade Vanilla Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp (8g) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup (300ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (200g) whipping cream , 35% fat
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Prepare the apple filling.
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into thin small slices.
- In a medium bowl toss the apple slices with lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, flour, cinnamon, breadcrumbs and raisins. Set aside.
Assemble the apple strudel.
- Transfer the pastry dough to the prepared baking sheet. Try to work quickly as you want to keep the dough chilled.
- Mark a rectangle into the center of the sheet leaving about a 5-inch (12cm) border on each side and a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border at the top and bottom of the rectangle. Start making diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of the rectangle. Discard the 4 corners of the dough.
- Spread the apple filling into the center of the dough.
- Fold the top and bottom parts of the dough over the filling. Fold the diagonal strips of dough over the filling, alternating sides until all loaf is braided. Press ends to seal.
- Brush the braid with a beaten egg and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
Meanwhile, prepare the vanilla sauce.
- In a small saucepan whisk the egg yolks with sugar, cornstarch and vanilla extract. Gradually whisk in milk and cream and place over medium-low heat. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring continuously until thickens. No need to boil the sauce. Set aside until ready to use.
- Pour vanilla sauce into serving plates, add a slice of apple strudel and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!